DO YOU NEED A SAFETY PLAN?
Does a family member or your intimate partner…
- Hit, punch, slap, kick, or bite you or your child?
- Threaten to hurt you or your child?
- Throw things at you?
- Destroy your personal property or sentimental items?
- Threaten to harm pets to manipulate you or your child?
- Force you or your child to perform sexual acts?
If you find yourself in a situation where you or your child are exposed to violence in your own home, here are some things you can do to increase your safety and prepare for the possibility of further abuse and violence.
YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN DESERVE A SAFE LIFE!
BEFORE a violent incident…
- Identify a neighbor you can tell about the violence and ask them to call police if they hear a disturbance at your house
- Have a code word or signal to use with children, family, friends if you need them to call police. Teach young children when and how to dial 911.
- Open your own savings account or have a safe stash of spending money.
- Leave money, extra set of keys, copies of important documents, extra clothes with someone you trust if you have to leave.
- Have options for places to get away to such as domestic violence shelters, friends, or relatives.
- Keep shelter hotline numbers with you and have a calling card with you at all times.
- Go over safety plans with children!
DURING a violent incident…
- Stay close to exits and away from places with potential weapons such as kitchen
- GET OUT and CALL 911.
- Use your good judgment and intuition. Try to calm abuser down, and do what you can to protect the child and yourself.
AFTER a violent incident…
- Get medical attention and ask someone to photograph injuries.
- Make a police report as soon as possible.
- Save evidence in case you decide to take legal action now or later. Include medical records, police reports, photos of injuries, house in disarray, torn clothes, weapons, etc.
- Call domestic violence shelter or child advocacy center for assistance in seeking order of protection. (Dove — http://www.doveinc.org)
- Seek support and help